It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Sound off, escapees of Jalopnik!

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

ash78

Sound off, escapees of Jalopnik!

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 9:19 am

Hey everyone,

I already know some of you from the old days of Jalopnik and Oppo. So who all is still around and active here, as well? (Graverobber is politely excluded from sharing any opinions he might have!)

After almost a decade of visiting and commenting, I just couldn't take the last batch of crazy format changes over there. So after Al Navarro's multiple years of cajoling, I think I'll hang around here a lot more.

So how's everyone doing?

jibduh

Re: Sound off, escapees of Jalopnik!

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 1:39 pm

Equal opportunity lurker here. :P
BlackIce_GTS wrote:M is a number somewhere between 53 and 75, X is between 12 and 13

zsm

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 3:57 pm

Welcome Ash! I'm doing pretty well, thanks for asking! Little stressed about the sequestration and how it might affect my job and my latest car thing was bidding on this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Ma ... fresh=true

Have you been commenting on hooniverse again? I noticed you once not too long ago. You should make an intensedebate account and use that to login, cause then I can stalk you. Plus you will round-up the very valuable (in no way valuable) points.

It's pretty dead here. There are some of the long ago folks on FB, https://www.facebook.com/msczn if you want me to get you a list of some of the smoking lounges.

Also there is a circle on G+ that people share. I have no idea how to get to the url of my profile, but I got my cirlce from Fodder: https://plus.google.com/109883235140111009818 That's what is the most like what oppositelock was like before everything got improved over the years. There is some hooniverse group, oppo group, stuff like that, I can point you to those as well, but they are not as active.

Personally the smoking lounges on FB are my favorite, cause they are the classiest bunch (ha), but if you ignore the occasional dildo stuff on oppo on g+, that's a lot of fun too.
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

Marto

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 4:34 pm

Me too.

I was a daily visitor there since when they had that fellow with the aviators and lollipop in the logo.
But the design has become progressively less useful to me. I have deleted Jalopnik from my favourites and most-viewed pane. And I don't miss it.

Case in point, last time I went there I was intrigued by the "What's the Most Interesting Car" article. Trouble was, given a user can only see 2 comments at a time, the same few cars - even the exact same pictures of them - were repeated over and over again by each new commenter. And there were something like 200 comments.

So I just said "enough".

Devin

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 4:38 pm

I had a star once! That was a few years ago under a different name, and then the terrible site redesign made me angry and I didn't go there anymore. I understand it has somehow gotten worse since.

pj134

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 7:02 am

Sir! Well, this brightened my day after an early email made me want to break stuff. I'm glad to see you here and I hope some others will follow your lead. It's been a little over a year and a half since I started my exodus and a little over a year since my last comment on Jalopnik.

This is turned into an AA meeting, didn't it?

zsm

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 7:04 am

I think it was our long ago pope that said it was like his support group, that's what hooniverse is to me. Break stuff today anyway PJ.
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

skitter

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 7:29 am

I used to read every single comment back in the days of Murilopnik Weekends and patent searching. I discovered Hooniverse when it was a few weeks old, wandered over, and found the same sense of commenting community. Over the next couple of years, the voices that kept me coming back to Jalopnik faded or got lost in the crowd.

jeep_jeff

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 5:16 pm

The Man. The Myth. The Legend. Welcome to our corner of the 'net, Ash. I'm another [redacted] refugee, I cut out when Denton started making noises that commenters didn't make him any money (Ok, so I had also gotten to the point where I couldn't put up with the bugs in their blogging system if I wanted to hang out and get the occasional bit of work done). I was, however, one of the newer commenters over there; I never had a star, and I started commenting quite a bit right as you went on your hiatus.

GimmiSaganOmDraken

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 6:47 pm

I have never been here before but $kaycog said people have migrated here!

pj134

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 7:33 am

I tried you to goad you over here a few times Gimmi.

zsm

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 9:27 am

Welcome Gimmi! I hope you hang around at hooniverse a lot more too! Check my reply to Ash, I think you would very much like the shared oppo circle, and all those people would enjoy more story and picture times with Gimmi :D Have a good one, Mike
Next

Return to The Driveway