It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:23 pm

USA trip: advice needed

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Devin

Re: USA trip: advice needed

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 8:00 am

You'll fit right in in Saskatchewan then, the landscape is not dissimilar to that.

Marto

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Devin wrote:You'll fit right in in Saskatchewan then, the landscape is not dissimilar to that.

But I thought all of Canada looked exactly like this:

Just like all of Australia looks like this:

Anyway, I'm going to make my way to Toronto after I hit up New York in June. Then I plan to drift west across Canada for a month or two - tiny little country that it is, tucked away right down there...

Maymar

PostSun Apr 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Marto wrote:
Maymar wrote:A Crown Victoria might be just the ticket for you - cheap (because except for a few nuts, no one really wants them), reliable, everyone can work on them, you could sleep in it (just, reactivate the rear door handles or take the cage out if you get an ex-cop car), and on the highway, the fuel economy isn't entirely hideous. Plus, semi-traditional American BOF land yacht.

Should you find yourself in the Toronto area though, we're sort of a dead zone of car enthusiasm. Although, we've got a pretty decent track in Bowmanville's Mosport (sorry, Canadian Tire Motorsports park), and and Bradford's Guild of Automotive Restorers frequently has some rare or interesting projects on the go. Both are within 45 minutes or so of the city. In the city, we've got a couple railway-themed breweries (Steamwhistle, in an old roundhouse beside the CN Tower with several old locomotives, and Junction, near an old stockyard), and one of our better breweries (Mill St) is in a neighbourhood built out of an old distillery (with reclaimed buildings).

I do love a land yatch. Something about cruising in 7 tons of softly sprung chrome and steel, doing 250 rpm with the windows down...
But, again, I'd rather ride along with people already doing a road trip than own the car myself. I'm travelling very light.

Once my USA visa runs out I'm going to cross into Canada and run out my visa there. Toronto is on the list because it looks generally interesting. And I like a drink - or six. Also, any Toronto food specialties I have to try?

Once again, sorry about the lateness of this reply. I've been both overseas and unwell of late.

It's hard to say if there's any real Toronto food specialities - we're a pretty multicultural city, so just about everything's represented (and occasionally gets 15 minutes of trendy - I think we're still on steam bun right now), but less of it is distinctly ours. The only other things that really come to mind are poutine (which is much more Quebec's thing, but readily available here) and Beaver Tails (fried pieces of dough with assorted toppings, but they're not always readily available here). Oh, and a litany of maple-based products.

pj134

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 5:54 am

Well, don't let Canada know I complimented anything of theirs (I kind of have a "don't feed the animals" policy with them (you say one nice thing and you get a whole group of Canadians bumping into each other saying sorry all around you)), but Unibroue makes some fine Canadian beer. I recommend thorough sampling of their goods.

http://www.unibroue.com/en/home

Marto

PostMon May 20, 2013 2:39 pm

So, I'm in LA right now. After three weeks in Japan, the cars are huge and loud. But so far the place feels very much like home. I'll be in San Francisco on the 22ND. As for interesting cars, pretty much the first vehicle I saw after I got out of LAX was a silver clown show.

jibduh

PostTue May 21, 2013 9:48 am

As I mentioned in my thread: Welcome! And... you need a slight derail with details of your time in Japan!

For US car culture, the temperature is picking up nicely and the interesting autos are starting to roam the streets around here.
BlackIce_GTS wrote:M is a number somewhere between 53 and 75, X is between 12 and 13

zsm

PostWed May 22, 2013 6:52 am

Welcome Marto! Keep us posted of where you will be when so we can give suggestions. In LA is cars and coffee very early Saturdays. Near SF is Hanzel's, maybe you could contact Chris and just stop by.
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

mallthus

PostWed May 22, 2013 9:15 pm

pj134 wrote:Well, don't let Canada know I complimented anything of theirs (I kind of have a "don't feed the animals" policy with them (you say one nice thing and you get a whole group of Canadians bumping into each other saying sorry all around you)), but Unibroue makes some fine Canadian beer. I recommend thorough sampling of their goods.

http://www.unibroue.com/en/home

Actually, their stuff is good enough not to need the national origin qualifier. ;)

Batshitbox

PostTue May 28, 2013 7:44 pm

Woot! Still in SF? I went away from the 23rd through the 27th so I might have missed you.

The Exploratorium is now open again, and is definitely a hands-on museum. It's right on the waterfront in SF, at Pier 15, near a lot of touristy stuff like Coit Tower and Pier 39. Most importantly, though, tons of bus and trolley access.

If you're still nearby I can leave your name (or whatever alias you want to use!) at the front desk and get you (plus three more folks) in for free. I'm allowed 4 people a day every day for free, so it's really no sweat.

Otherwise, Rock On!

EDIT: Just got your PM and e-mailed ya. Looks like you're on your way already.
Hot things burn!

Marto

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 9:10 pm

228 days later, I'm back!

Expect a full update soon...

For those playing at home I went to: Japan, US, Canada, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Bulgaria, Turkey, Sri Lanka, Singapore and Thailand.

jibduh

PostWed Dec 18, 2013 6:43 am

Welcome back!

I think 228 days puts you well into the 'epic' territory! Gratuitous details are expected, my well traveled friend!
BlackIce_GTS wrote:M is a number somewhere between 53 and 75, X is between 12 and 13

Marto

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 3:04 am

Okay, so after a few attempts to write something I have realised a single post covering 8 months will be too long, so I am going to go the easy and more interesting route: a gallery for each country, plus a special feature for 'special' parking from around the world. Anyway, today's country: Japan.

First ever Enzo I saw was in downtown Tokyo. Crikey it was loud.

This TVR 350C was parked outside my hostel in Tokyo. It was full of DJ gear and from what I can tell was not driven the whole time.

A Japan-only cycling hazard: petal-eye.

Another Japan-only cycling hazard: custard bath.

Leaning delivery trike in a back street near the gadget and sex-shop hub of Akihabara.

Land Rover-branded spaceframe commuter bike.

I can never remember what these things are called. But I am pretty sure it is a Toyota of some type.

First Midget II I've ever seen.

Mystery Car! It's not what it claims to be, so what is it?
PreviousNext

Return to The Driveway