It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:59 am

USA trip: advice needed

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Marto

Re: USA trip: advice needed

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 3:15 am

Northern California.

Along with getting 50+ bedbug bites in Fresno and somehow getting stuck on a Chinese tour bus for four days, I took a few shots in NorCal. Most of these are from San Fran and Alameda. Perhaps you recognise these streets...

Guess where.

A very nice 242 in Alameda. Sorry about the cables, the shots from the other side were even worse due to my ineptitude camera-wise. The blanket covered backseat makes me worry that Marvin was shot in this one too.

This old Alamedan navy-blue limo was parked 200 yards from...

...this one. Anyone know what is going on with these things?

Anyone know this place on Alameda?

That'll buff out.

What's that? A Galaxie? I don't know.

Not a good sign for a limo. Yes, another NorCal limo.

Marto

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 3:32 am

So, SoCal and west to Austin.

Actually, I landed in LA straight from Tokyo. So the below is the first car pic I took in North America.

The Germans do weird with a special sense of purpose.

And speaking of Europeans, can anyone explain this?

Or, can you explain these roof racks?

Once again, I don't know what this is. Other than sexy.

Again, street parked in LA. No idea what it is. Pity the shot of the Death Proof Charger I took came out horrifyingly bad...

I know what this is though. A Ferrari 348, right?

There's a difference between old and retro.

This is bat country.

For the record, I hated Vegas.

Is this a Chevette? Whatever it is, it was parked at Hoover Dam. Damn.

Just your average Nevada souvenir shop.
Last edited by Marto on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marto

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 3:58 am

The South West to the North East.

This post covers a lot of ground.

So I got a Craiglist rideshare from LA to Austin (there were concealed weapons, ritalin, fake names and a twister, involved).

I got another Craiglist from Austin to New Orleans.

From NO I flew to NY, took a bus to Boston and back, then I jumped on an Amtrak to Toronto.

I think I captured this monstrosity somewhere in Austin. I was drunk. On beer. And tacos.

So this is my ritalin-loving, fake-name-having, taser-toting, LA-to-Austin-wthout-sleeping Craigslist driver... Dan! Or was it Dave? Darren? Great guy though.

Austin to New Orleans. Compare speedometer and cat placement.

Shot taken right outside the gates of Harvard.

I did not put that cigarette butt there. Just too perfect.

I just... I... what is this?

I stayed in an illegal warehouse loft apartment in Brooklyn. In a loft bed no less. This was parked just around the corner.

As was this. In New York. This. In New York.

Most turbulent flight I ever took was the train trip from NY to Toronto.

jibduh

PostThu Jan 09, 2014 10:04 am

Marto wrote:
And speaking of Europeans, can anyone explain this?

American sourced? Poorly thought out marketing? Not sure what a European salad is, but apparently it uses American ingredients!
Or, can you explain these roof racks?

I think they might be able to stack some tires on top? raising the center of gravity to the dashboard? For a track day? :P

Or, maybe just for the bags during a grocery run :D

Re: Japan

I was amazed by the variety of cars I saw there. Part of it was probably as American being overseas for the first time, but it's very much so a place I'd like to revisit.
BlackIce_GTS wrote:M is a number somewhere between 53 and 75, X is between 12 and 13

Marto

PostFri Jan 10, 2014 6:17 pm

Oh Canada!

At a gas station somewhere between Toronto and Montreal I think. Look what's parked behind it...

"Ooh, in hot pursuit."

Quebec City has a mad-keen COD:MW3 fan.

A nice little Falcon 2-door in Halifax, Nova Scotia. At least I think it is a Falcon.

And then there's this experimental electric car that the University in Toronto had just acquired that very day. This is its first drive under with the new owners.

Marto

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Look, I have to finish this whole thing...

So, this is the Netherlands, Germany and Austria. By now, I'd been on the road for about four months...

Netherlands:

Chernobyl Smart car?

Lulz.

There's at least three of these circulating Amsterdam.

That's not a roadside cafe, that's a road ON cafe.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? I love that this monstronsity was parked in a bicycle zone.

It's not floating, it has simply defeated the water.

Germany:

AUTOBAHN! Utterly shocking shot, but the speedo and the tailights tell the story. We were doing 197km/h at the time, that's about 120mph, and we had just been overtaken. By a diesel station wagon.

Possibly driven by the guy above.

Berlin: Fully road legal, single cylinder, 50mph top speed and no suspension.

They are just so small and loud.

Imagine if the license plate was: SRMX ALOT

Yet another foreign mystery car.

Austria (I didn't like Austria):

You have to respect honesty in advertising.

jibduh

PostFri Jan 17, 2014 2:19 pm

I want that microcar. The one from Berlin. Though, I wouldn't turn down a drive of the Chernobyl smart car. Preferably in an empty parking lot with lots of foam padding around the perimeter.
BlackIce_GTS wrote:M is a number somewhere between 53 and 75, X is between 12 and 13

Marto

PostFri Jan 17, 2014 4:21 pm

jibduh wrote:I want that microcar. The one from Berlin. Though, I wouldn't turn down a drive of the Chernobyl smart car. Preferably in an empty parking lot with lots of foam padding around the perimeter.

I heard them before I saw them. I saw them before I knew anything about them.

Then I found this:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zei ... 00570.html

"But it's too exciting an experience to feel frightening. Traveling in a mini hot rod is sensory overload -- all roaring single-cylinder engines and tearing winds. It's an intense, unfiltered experience. Not to mention the lack of suspension: In a mini-hot rod, driver and vehicle become one. It's a bit like sitting on a carpet and being pulled over asphalt. Driving over cobbled streets makes the teeth chatter."

jibduh

PostFri Jan 17, 2014 7:28 pm

The video in the link just confirms the awesomeness. I find it hard to believe it's road legal. It's like a faster version of the cycle kart I want to build something along the lines of Image

Marto

PostSun Jan 19, 2014 2:37 pm

After a few boring, expensive days in Austria, it was time for the great train journey to Istanbul. Actually, it wasn't "great" in the biblical sense. Just catching trains city to city. The highlight being woken in the middle of the night by a Serbian border control guard demanding "PadPORT" who then smashed an inkless stamp down on a random page and stalked off to the next sleeper compartrment: "PadPORT!"

Acutally no, the highlight was eating black bread with lard and an entire bottle of red wine. Or "talking" with some non-English speaking Czech guys using the international language of shots.

Anyway... Hungary and Bulgaria:

Crossing the Danube in Budapest. It wasn't blue. Typical of the cars you'll see on European roads. The brand mix doesn't change as you get to the poorer countries, the cars just get older. I think there is a generally eastward old car migration. That's why there are so many W123s and W124s in those countries, they migrated and then they just kept on keeping on.

Street cats trying to stay warm in Bulgaria. Also as you head east the number of street cats goes through the roof.

Bulgarian maps are pretty utilitarian in naming things.

Let's get out of here. (No, I didn't go to Moscow. I jumped on for the leg to Belgrade: "PadPORT!")

Marto

PostWed Jan 22, 2014 5:12 pm

So I am close to wrapping up this long series of posts. I think we're all tired of them. This one is about Turkey and Sri Lanka - how boringly exotic. ZZzzzzzz...

Anyway, let's talk Turkey. What a country!

Honestly, Kodak must have shot all its advertising images in Turkey. Five below zero celsius, 500 metres above ground altitude. Taken with my rubbish phone camera.

A rare thing in Turkey, a neat and tasteful modded car. Nice wheel choice. Pity about the flat tyres. Most of the souped up cars in Turkey are locally constructed rebranded Fiat 131s sold by Tofas: the Dogan seems to be the most popular model.

Turkish is an elegant and sensual langauge.

Shocking photo, but holy wheelbase Batman!

Sri Lanka: Heat, sweat, dirt, odd people and the occasional maggot in your curry.

The whole place runs on old buses. Very cheap. Very slow.

Making a dash through the monsoon in Kandy: tuk-tuk with no headlights, instruments or functional wipers.

Speaking of tuk-tuks, many of them are covered in weirdly threatening or inspirational quotes. Or just random stickers. I distinctly remember one that had "There is no god. Power, love and speed."

The horror.

Marto

PostFri Jan 24, 2014 4:26 pm

jibduh wrote:Re: Japan

I was amazed by the variety of cars I saw there. Part of it was probably as American being overseas for the first time, but it's very much so a place I'd like to revisit.

And no Camrys. None.
PreviousNext

Return to The Driveway