It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:19 pm

What am I missing?

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Devin

What am I missing?

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 7:40 pm

So for reasons, I'm contemplating whether or not I want a new vehicle this year. So, I've gone around drivin' stuff. Now I'm thinking there is probably other stuff I should look at before making up my mind. Yes, I'm looking at new, just because it's such a pain in the ass to find a manual-equipped model in this area and I don't quite want to travel hours and hours just to find something. But don't judge me too harshly! Also, heavy priority on buying within my city, so GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia and Nissan are our dealers. Anyway, I have driven the following things that are on the market right now:

Toyota Matrix. (The default option, since it's what I've got, it's just a matter if I want to keep it or switch)

Pros: I like it a lot, it's been a trusty steed for the past four years.
Lots of space and usefulness.
I quite like driving it.
Cons: Something seems to be up with the way the driver's door drains, which worries me
Quite heavy feeling.
I did sort of smash the passenger side a bit, though that was fixed.

Hyundai Elantra GT:
Pros: Really enjoyed driving it
Big-ass sunroof
Lots of little features scattered throughout that I like a lot
There's actually one on the lot equipped correctly.
Cons: That one on the lot is painted an ugly color.
Veloster sunroof problems make me cautious
Power seats.

Chevrolet Trax
Pros: Very useful
Moves better than I expected
Normally don't care about ground clearance, but this winter made me appreciate the idea
Cons: Stupid stereo
Stupid speedometer
Quite heavy like GM products tend to be.
Manuals thin on the ground
Seriously, the stereo is a touchscreen deal and awful.

Chevrolet Sonic
Pros: Looks are growing on me
Quite chuckable, really way more fun than I expected.
Cons: Tiny
Stupid speedometer
Clutch is crazy light.

Ford Focus
Pros: Drives pretty nice.
Cons: Seats kind of annoyed me
Haven't had a chance to drive the manual, but the automatic sucked donkey balls
Interior in general has a weird tech-y thing going on that I didn't enjoy. Just all displays and fiddly buttons. I was inordinately happy to get back into my Matrix with its shitty stereo display that doesn't work in the winter. Does that make me an old man?

Toyota Prius C
Pros: Cheap to run
Actually not that bad in the city. Reasonably chuckable and you can have fun with it
Cons: Not a manual
Loud as [expletive deleted] on the highway. And not a nice loud, just wind and road noise.
Still a Prius.

Honda Civic
Pros: The green driving lights can be corrupted for the purposes of fun times.
Cons: Feels like it was designed for a grandma
No hatch
No engine temp gauge

Kia Rio
Pros: Nifty looking inside and out
Cons: Bouncy

Toyota Corolla
Pros: Probably won't explode?
Cons: Misery box.
Sounds like a distressed cow.
Not a hatchback.

Budget's in the $20,000 area or so. So anything I should look at that I haven't? I'll take suggestions, probably ignore them, and then in a rush of irresponsibility buy that Toyota Sera I saw in Regina.
Last edited by Devin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

pj134

Re: What am I missing?

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 9:06 am

What about a cr-z? Kind of fits into your criteria and is holding value rather poorly.

Devin

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 10:12 am

I haven't actually seen one on sale anywhere.

There was one driving around town at one point, but that's it.

jibduh

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 10:29 am

Honda Fit and Mazda2 (otherwise, definitely shilling the mazda) are probably too small then, escape doesn't come in a manual if you count it as a hatch rather than a cuv.

Mazda3? 6/fusion? also non hatches for now. imprezza/forester?
BlackIce_GTS wrote:M is a number somewhere between 53 and 75, X is between 12 and 13

Devin

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 4:48 pm

An addendum, drove a couple things today.

Dodge Dart
Pros: Makes a lovely, lovely noise.
Really liked the steering
Cons: Not a hatchback - seriously guys, why couldn't you bring over the Giulietta unmodified? WHY DON'T YOU WANT MY MONEY?
Stupid stereo (though I think you can order one with a stereo that isn't stupid, so that's nice)

Nissan Sentra
Pros: Comfy
Irresponsibility meter, I love corrupting those.
Cons: CVT kind of bleh.
I drove it literally 10 minutes ago, yet I don't remember much else about it.

FrankTheCat

PostThu Apr 04, 2013 6:54 pm

If you can actually find one, give a manual Honda Fit a test drive. As long as you're not 6'5", they're roomy-er than you'd think

My mom bought a 2012 silver base model with the stick, and it's not only fun to drive spiritedly, but it gets 36mpg consistently, and hasn't given any trouble in the 32k miles she's driven it so far. Clutch is lightish (my mom has bad hips and manages fine,) but still feels normal for the given engine size.

Make sure to get the base model; the sport weighs more and has an awful touchscreen head unit.

jibduh

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 9:54 am

I think I've also read that the magic rear seat also weighs 300 lbs. it was peppy enough that I was seriously considering it before I bought my Mazda2, but I can't help but wonder how much of a rocket it would be with more than 10% of the weight removed. And it looked like it was held in with a total of 2 bolts!

...assuming practical constraints don't require a rear seat.
BlackIce_GTS wrote:M is a number somewhere between 53 and 75, X is between 12 and 13

Devin

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 12:13 pm

Now you're convincing me to have a go in the Fit. I'd do it today, but I looked out the window and the weather is ice and misery.

jibduh

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 12:33 pm

Doooo iiiiitttt!!!!

I thought the fit seemed positively cavernous. Height wise, I'm surprised 6'5 is the cutoff, but I'll go with it since I'm pretty short by comparison. and see http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-25-hours-of-thunderhill-in-a-b-spec-mazda-2-and-honda-fit-feature

FrankTheCat

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 1:55 pm

jibduh wrote:Doooo iiiiitttt!!!!

I thought the fit seemed positively cavernous. Height wise, I'm surprised 6'5 is the cutoff, but I'll go with it since I'm pretty short by comparison. and see http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-25-hours-of-thunderhill-in-a-b-spec-mazda-2-and-honda-fit-feature

I'm going by me being 5'11", and there being roughly 6" above my head. Though the seat could go back a looot farther if you're more leg than torso.

And apparently most of the extra weight is sound deadening on the firewall and rear wheel wells. Apparently us 'Merigans can't handle the buzzy engine and road noise.

Devin

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 4:33 pm

Alright, drove a Fit.

Pros: Very tight, in a good way. Everything felt really nicely put together.
It isn't a ton of power, but there's also not a ton of car to haul around so it balances out and works pretty well.
Surprising amount of space in there. Whoever did the packaging was a genius.
Irresponsibility meter, wheeee.
Cons: It should be illegal to equip these things with an auto, yet the sales dude couldn't find one with a proper transmission in Saskatchewan.
No engine temp gauge! Seriously Honda, that's annoying.

Since the Ford store is next door, I double checked the Focus, and the guy said "take one overnight". The fools!
Especially since I probably won't buy one, since I basically just confirmed that all of the screens are just silly and distracting.

jibduh

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 10:42 am

FrankTheCat wrote:
jibduh wrote:Doooo iiiiitttt!!!!

I'm going by me being 5'11", and there being roughly 6" above my head. Though the seat could go back a looot farther if you're more leg than torso.

And apparently most of the extra weight is sound deadening on the firewall and rear wheel wells. Apparently us 'Merigans can't handle the buzzy engine and road noise.

Ah, I can see your reasoning. I think if you split the difference half between your head/torso and half to the legs, you might fit someone a bit shy of 7' (more if they're all limbs?). but if someone is all torso, it'll get to be a problem pretty quick.

Devin:

Ford screens still need a bit of work. Optioning down to avoid them seems a bit backwards... that must have been quite the impression you gave the salesman to have them give you the keys overnight. (I agree. Manual is certainly imperative on the Fit)
Next

Return to The Driveway