It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:20 pm

Search for a manual

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

BlackIce_GTS

Search for a manual

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 6:57 pm

It felt too self-centred to post this in last call, so I thought I'd make a thread out of it even though it'll get less feedback because I know from experience that people keep forgetting this forum exists (sorry).
I'm looking for something really cheap and not-FWD with a manual transmission. Or I'm just screwing around and won't end up buying anything anytime soon. Probably the latter.

Does anyone have any experiences with the first generation ('99-something) of Ford Super Duty? And does this truck have any more red flags than are immediately apparent? (how much "TLC"? What happened to the bumper?) I don't need a truck for any 'actual' reason, just for fun. I think that's a V10 badge... There's actually no engines this truck came with that I wouldn't like, but V10s are bonus cool.

P161911

Re: Search for a manual

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 12:33 pm

Had a neighbor with an Excursion with the V-10, he had problems with the spark plugs popping out. Apparently this is an issue with some versions of the Ford Modular engine.

jibduh

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 12:49 pm

high response count, this forum is not.

How can you tell the truck has a manual? the ad has next to no detail.

As for my answer, the answer is always miata (is that valid on this forum?).

Otherwise, I do like the MR2 for even cheaper fun.

...and I have been eyeing SN95 mustangs because they're running for less than foxbodies now.

How big of a toy are you looking for, and what are your plans for it?
BlackIce_GTS wrote:M is a number somewhere between 53 and 75, X is between 12 and 13

pj134

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 1:12 pm

jibduh wrote:high response count, this forum is not.

I do what I can, man... I can only reply to myself so many times before it gets weird.

Alcology

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 5:07 pm

...Then the crickets come out and the crickets bring the lizards, so we have to get the baboons. It's horrible.

You might get lucky and be able to find a ford ranger splash! edition with a fun engine if you want a truck. If a fun manual is your only consideration and you don't want to go the miata route, mid-90s mustangs or camaros are very affordable if not outright cheap, and 200x mustangs are too! I would suggest you let go of the RWD bias and look for a mercury capri xr3. They're pretty cheap. Convertible. Mildly dangerous. You would be the only person to have one!

jibduh

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 6:04 pm

And then men to stop the screeching, and men with guns to stop them, and nukes to stop them!

And we're back to crickets.

See what you've done, pj? :lol:

Oh, now then, if we're looking at fwd too, then a crx or integra, or the rest of the Mazda portfolio is opened up (protoge, 323, mx-6, 2, 3) a couple old subarus like the brat or justy (I3!)

Though, if it's the engine you're after, those won't work. rx7 wankel?

s10 or ranger, would be good trusty beaters to thrash a bit. a 90s jeep cherokee might also fit the bill, especially with that 4.0 I6 (or a bmw)?
BlackIce_GTS wrote:M is a number somewhere between 53 and 75, X is between 12 and 13

jeep_jeff

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 7:04 pm

jibduh wrote:high response count, this forum is not.

Yeah, yeah, I haven't been on as much the last couple of months.

jibduh wrote:How can you tell the truck has a manual? the ad has next to no detail.

In the title: 5-speed. The auto transmission for that model year was a 4-speed.

jibduh wrote:As for my answer, the answer is always miata (is that valid on this forum?).

Some of us like dumb truck clutches in high-riding body-on-frame 4x4s as toys. Lots of torque and not much concern for cornering speed improves the fun. Also, low traction surfaces. :twisted:

Of course, Miatas are always politic:

BlackIce_GTS

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 7:08 pm

My plans are "I can't drive stick and this bothers me". That's just about all of it. Budget is 2K$.
A truck has the advantage of; I live amid beautiful mountain views but am too lazy and ADD to hike (walking is slow. You have to look at the same things for like a minute. Boring!). Solutions I like are dual sport bike and truck. This truck is cheaper than bike+licence+training+gear (I'll get around to those eventually). Plus it can do other truck things. And V10! Maybe.
Not interested in serious off-roading (yet), just things a truck can do that a car can't.
Another thing about trucks is that they exist in my immediate vicinity. Other non-FWD manuals on local Craijiji when I looked consisted of two BMWs starting with 32. A rule I just made up right now is that I don't want a BMW that starts with a number smaller than 33 (M is a number somewhere between 53 and 75, X is between 12 and 13). Autotrader has a few more, but nothing spellbinding.

Timeline is before winter, because I miss snow drifting ever so much. Winter here is mid-November to mid-March maybe.
So, no rush. Also I'm going to be ridiculously tentative because I don't want to pay for a whole bunch of mechanical inspections. Nor do I not want to get those, even though I got very lucky with my current car. I'm not really mechanically experienced enough (maybe another goal of this project) to diagnose something that's about to break. I can only spot already-broken stuff.

Miata, MR2, Mustang: Sure! As I stated briefly before diverging wildly earlier, there isn't a lot to choose from, so I'm not looking for anything specific. We have emissions control here, that tends to weed out a lot of the cheap and/or old cars.
What I'm specifically not looking for are non-sporting(ish) cars, non-running anything, and car-based SUVs. I can think of exceptions to all of those.
Cherokees and Rangers are likely solutions.

jibduh

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 7:28 pm

learning manual in a truck could be needlessly frustrating for the clutch Jeff mentions (rather heavy for a beginner). alternatively: both feet down, sidestep left foot. That should do it.

I don't know what the market is like over in BC, but I can understand the rwd snowdrifting. In your shoes I'd likely be looking closely for that cherokee (in part because I'm casually searching for one myself). our salted roads haven't been terribly kind to them, so that's something to look out for.

Imprezzas aren't the car of choice in the wild northwest? Or the rest of the japanese imports that you get after 15 years? doesn't everyone have an R33? :P

Jeff: I knew I missed something...

I like this. turning into my sig in 3...2...

jeep_jeff

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 7:50 pm

jibduh wrote:learning manual in a truck could be needlessly frustrating for the clutch Jeff mentions (rather heavy for a beginner). alternatively: both feet down, sidestep left foot. That should do it.

I learned on a V8 F-150. It's possible, and a good teacher helps a lot. It's main advantage is that you won't run into anything that requires re-learning because the clutch is too heavy. (BlackIce: jibduh's advice about side-stepping the left foot is both hilarious and awesome. Also, probably a bad idea...)

jibduh wrote:I don't know what the market is like over in BC, but I can understand the rwd snowdrifting. In your shoes I'd likely be looking closely for that cherokee (in part because I'm casually searching for one myself). our salted roads haven't been terribly kind to them, so that's something to look out for.

I grew up south of the border, and at least in Washington, they don't salt the roads, so stuff holds up pretty well. Cherokee XJs had a super low take rate on the M/T, and are hens teeth (at least: in the US). Otherwise, awesome choice. (I might be biased)

Subies are pretty popular in Washington, but they hold value. My mom sold her '92 Legacy wagon a few years back. This was at least 2007, so it was 15 years old or more, and she was shocked at how much she got for it. A $2000 Impreza is going to be an interesting proposition... I'd suggest a Wrangler, but they also have a nasty habit of holding value (a $2000 Wrangler is likely something to avoid).

jibduh wrote:Jeff: I knew I missed something...

;)

BlackIce_GTS

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 9:31 pm

I have driven manuals before, it was hard and annoying. It's going to be hard and annoying no matter what I get, so I'm not to bothered by 'slightly harder and more annoying', within reason.
jibduh wrote:I like this. turning into my sig in 3...2...

Thanks, I will enjoy having to explain to people what the hell your sig means. (serious)

I've only seen a handful of R33s. R32s are... I used to say as common as C4 Corvettes, but there are a lot more of them now. Everybody has a Delica though.
JDM stuff; since I already don't know what I'm doing, it's no trouble to do it with the other hand.

Didn't know stick Cherokees were rare, darn.
I don't know about small pickups, I'm slightly tall. I recall sitting in a first generation Tacoma, such an action was just on the near side of possible.
I'm going to lurk around the Ford dealer this weekend, see if they have any Rangers I can sit in.
They're all pretty much the same, aren't they? Especially after '93. That sounds like an appealing parts pool.

pj134

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 6:33 am

Stick XJ's are out there though... and they're magical. They also sold a hell of a lot more on the east coast.

Have you considered going the Pulsar GTi-R route?

:D
Next

Return to The Driveway