It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:39 pm

Search for a manual

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

jeep_jeff

Re: Search for a manual

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 11:46 am

BlackIce_GTS wrote:I have driven manuals before, it was hard and annoying. It's going to be hard and annoying no matter what I get, so I'm not to bothered by 'slightly harder and more annoying', within reason.

It's annoying for a week, maybe two, of regular driving. Then it just becomes a habit and part of driving the car. At which point, you can start thinking about more than the basics, and then it gets fun.

BlackIce_GTS

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Two weeks? That's considerably less difficulty and annoyance than I estimated.
'81 240D: I've considered buying it, driving 25,000 Km, collecting the high mileage award for three hundred thousand, and then selling it. What could I lose, besides the five years it would take to drive this car that far at top speed?
'86 Cherokee: Seriously 800$? Does it run? I may have to take a look at this. Even if it turns out to be a 4cyl, which I think is the most likely fly in this ointment. Also 300K is a much larger number if you're not a W123.

pj134

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 5:46 am

My Cherokee was at 230,000 miles when it was put down. It was still running well too. Just needed a transfer case. It may have had an engine replaced earlier on in its life but I'm not sure. Just know that a 4 cylinder jeep is geared to crawl. You'll be at a fairly high rpm at highway speeds. I mean, any old jeep will be like this, but it's more noticeable with a 4 cylinder.

Marcal

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 8:41 am

The answer is always F-150. Here's your solution. http://skagit.craigslist.org/cto/3610905701.html

I live near Seattle, but would gladly drive to Skagit County for such a good deal.
"A one that is not cold is scarcely a one at all."

jibduh

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 9:57 am

I think that if you're willing to devote a day to glazing the clutch (and maybe a bit of stalling) you can overcome the learning curve pretty easily.

Easier if it's geared low so torque helps you start too. a merc diesel should be good for the next ice age, I'd think. the jeep, I really want to like. (No rust!) but with visual condition in consideration, that price seems way too low. and again, low details though as Marcal mentioned, they do last the better part of forever (both 4 and 6 cyl amc options).

(I thought you misspelled Celica until I looked them up. those seem like fun little things...)
BlackIce_GTS wrote:M is a number somewhere between 53 and 75, X is between 12 and 13

jeep_jeff

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 10:22 am

BlackIce_GTS wrote:Two weeks? That's considerably less difficulty and annoyance than I estimated.

Once you get to the "I can get it into first if I really focus" point (took an afternoon for me, sounds like you're likely already there), then you find out just how often you stop when driving around town...

BlackIce_GTS

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 6:16 pm

Hopefully that's not the only thing I can get into if I really focus. If you know what I mean ;)
What I mean is that I just got fired and need to find another job.
This is not really a serious issue for me financially, but still, car shopping on hold for the moment.

Technically I really only have parking for one car, and two is just something I could almost certainly get away with. Still, I couldn't help thinking that I could get both the Mercedes and the Jeep for my theoretical budget.

jeep_jeff

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 2:49 pm

BlackIce_GTS wrote:Hopefully that's not the only thing I can get into if I really focus. If you know what I mean ;)
What I mean is that I just got fired and need to find another job.
This is not really a serious issue for me financially, but still, car shopping on hold for the moment.

Ouch, dude. Good luck on the job hunt.

Maymar

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 3:05 pm

BlackIce_GTS wrote:Two weeks? That's considerably less difficulty and annoyance than I estimated.
'81 240D: I've considered buying it, driving 25,000 Km, collecting the high mileage award for three hundred thousand, and then selling it. What could I lose, besides the five years it would take to drive this car that far at top speed?
'86 Cherokee: Seriously 800$? Does it run? I may have to take a look at this. Even if it turns out to be a 4cyl, which I think is the most likely fly in this ointment. Also 300K is a much larger number if you're not a W123.

You can sort of make out the 2.5 badge on the Cherokee, so it's definitely a four-cylinder. Then again, for an '86, the alternative is GM's 2.8L V6, so the I4 is sort of the preferable choice.

Although that W123 is tempting. Very, very tempting.

P161911

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 8:28 am

If you are looking for something in the $2k price range, get a late 1980s to early 1990s F-150 with the 4.9L I-6 and a 5-speed. I doubt that you could get a newer Superduty close to $2k. A F-150 with the 4.9L and a 5-speed will probably not die unless you do something really stupid like forget to change the oil for a few years or drive it several thousand miles with no oil or coolant.
Previous

Return to The Driveway