It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 3:15 pm

Your automotive furniture

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Alcology

Your automotive furniture

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 5:15 pm

I know old longroof has a drag slick glass-topped table in his pad and steering wheel table. Kamil has that V8 wine-rack. There are others. What do you have? I finally got around to a project I'd been meaning to tackle for awhile of changing out my ever-so-farty smelling ikea crap computer chair with something special. I used a seat from a jeep CJ and (crappily/happily) welded up a mounting plate to get it to sit on the ikea adjustable office chair. Step 1 of making my room a better a place. I'll post up step 2 when I can but it involves a lot of sanding and buffing of a FSJ grille and I'm not feeling up to the task just yet.

FrankTheCat

Re: Your automotive furniture

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 11:02 am

On my next visit to the junkyard, I plan on nabbing a Saab/Volvo/Audi leather seat to replace the awful one on my current computer chair. Not sure what to do about armrests, though.

pj134

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 11:24 am

Find something with a suitable y pipe that you can cut in half.

Alcology

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 6:51 pm

From the same junkyard donor, grab some interior pieces, like a couple of consoles or door handle braces and use those.

FrankTheCat

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 8:07 pm

I was thinking getting a seat from a car with armrests over the center console, and nabbing the one off of the other seat to hack onto the one for my chair. How hard could it be?

pj134

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 5:47 am

If you can find something to mount it to on the inside, not hard at all.

Marcal

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 8:53 am

Don't really have any auto-themed furniture, but I always wanted the bench seat out of a Caravan.
"A one that is not cold is scarcely a one at all."

FrankTheCat

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 9:07 am

Marcal wrote:Don't really have any auto-themed furniture, but I always wanted the bench seat out of a Caravan.

I already have one of those that I use as a parts-in-waiting storage unit.

Maymar

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 2:02 pm

I really want to make a coat rack using bent valves, although I haven't got around to it yet.

P161911

PostMon Apr 15, 2013 1:37 pm

In college I had a roommate that I shared a dorm room with that provided the bench seat out of a late 1980s Nissan pickup for a couch.

Whenever I went camping the rear seat of my K-5 Blazer was the official Camping Couch for sitting around the campfire. The rear seat always got yanked out because I slept in the back of the Blazer (high and dry and warm too). When the Blazer got totaled I kept the rear seat. I finally got tired of it taking up space and sold it on Craigslist.

desolit

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 8:41 am

FrankTheCat wrote:I was thinking getting a seat from a car with armrests over the center console, and nabbing the one off of the other seat to hack onto the one for my chair. How hard could it be?

Captains chair from a conversion van. They already have two armrests and there are only 598 of them in every junk yard.

On a reverse note: i had a friend in college who replaced the front seats of his 98-ish Dodge cargo van with a love seat. As for safety, because he had to coax it into place with a sledge hammer there was no need to bolt it to the floor........... :shock:

hoon13

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 10:21 am

This was featured on Hemmings' blog last weekend, the folks at Ran When Parked made a desk out of a Mercedes-Benz w123 trunk lid:

Full link here: http://ranwhenparked.net/2013/04/11/how ... trunk-lid/
Next

Return to The Driveway