It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:56 pm

W8 is the least exciting engine configuration ever

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Marto

W8 is the least exciting engine configuration ever

PostTue Apr 23, 2013 10:09 pm

There is a metric shedload of engine configurations. Oh sure, most cars get about with straight 4s or V6s. But what of triples? Straight 8s? Or that V5 thing?

So, here’s the question: which of the multitude of engine configurations – there’s even an H engine – has generally led to the least exciting engines?

NOT the single most boring engine, but which configuration generally means a boring engine.

It is obviously not the V8.

And I’d say it’s not the straight 4. There’s millions of them on the road and heaps of those are as boring as a wood grub. But then BMW, Honda and Porsche have done some amazing things with them.

Is it the V6?

Is it the straight 3?

Flat twin?

Has there ever been a 7 cylinder in a car? If so, was the presumably single car to have it very dull?

Let me know.

My candidate: the snooze factory that is the only W8 in the world. There’s only one of them and it doesn’t do anything interesting, except be a W. Oh, it comes in a nice car, but I think only 270hp from… zzzzzzz

pj134

Re: W8 is the least exciting engine configuration ever

PostWed Apr 24, 2013 5:59 am

Can even say a three cylinder because some awesome motorcycles use triples. That's a very tough question.

mallthus

PostWed May 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Well, if 8 cylinders in a W arrangement is dull, then a W16, must be twice as dull, right?

Batshitbox

PostWed May 15, 2013 9:55 pm

Three cylindered motorcycles are almost always exciting, (Kawasaki H2, Suzuki GT750, BSA Rocket, my Laverda) whereas there's only a couple of SAABs out there that are exciting three cylindered cars. I'd have to put the inline 3 four stroke down as fairly boring, even though I own one.

There are certainly exciting examples of otherwise boring engines, and vice-versa.

Top place goes to the V-6, though. It's such a compromise of an engine. Scaled down V-8? Won't run as smoothly. Not enough room for an inline 6? You're gonna lose some grunt there. These obstacles can be overcome, but why pour all that effort into making a V-6 run like something inherently better? V-6 is inherently what? Economical? Bleh.
Hot things burn!

zsm

PostThu May 16, 2013 9:20 am

Batshitbox wrote:V-6 is inherently what?

sometimes perfection
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

pj134

PostThu May 16, 2013 10:42 am

FrankTheCat

PostFri May 17, 2013 9:44 am

zsm wrote:
Batshitbox wrote:V-6 is inherently what?

sometimes perfection

Hear, hear!

The V6 from the NSX is great, too.

AND HOW IN THE HELL COULD YOU CALL THE ALFA V6 BORING

Tanshanomi

PostFri May 17, 2013 2:59 pm

The W3.

Labrie W3

Feuling W3
2011 Kizashi GTS Sport — 2002 Ford F150 Supercrew — 2007 Chrysler 300 Touring
2013 Cam-Am Spyder RS-S — 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT — 1974 Honda CL125 — "Bultakenstein", a pile of worn out motorcycle parts I'm calling a project bike

Batshitbox

PostSat May 18, 2013 7:20 pm

Batshitbox wrote:There are certainly exciting examples of otherwise boring engines, and vice-versa.

Just like I said! For every Lancia there's a Camry and a mid-80s Oldsmobile and a Vauxhall and a Dodge Stratus and a Saturn and yadda yadda yadda. One turd is always going to smell nicer than all the others.

The Cologne V6? Finest engine ever put... in a Capri. Yawn.
Hot things burn!

Devin

PostSun May 19, 2013 10:39 am

Batshitbox wrote:
Batshitbox wrote:There are certainly exciting examples of otherwise boring engines, and vice-versa.

Just like I said! For every Lancia there's a Camry and a mid-80s Oldsmobile and a Vauxhall and a Dodge Stratus and a Saturn and yadda yadda yadda. One turd is always going to smell nicer than all the others.

The Cologne V6? Finest engine ever put... in a Capri. Yawn.

Boring or exciting is more about context than the engine. Camry engine, in a Camry? No thanks. Camry engine, in a Lotus? Yes please!

Return to The Driveway