It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:58 am

The Magic Years

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Batshitbox

The Magic Years

PostSun May 19, 2013 3:38 am

Sometimes it takes a while before Hoons recognize the salient qualities of a vehicle. There are cars that only in retrospect have all of the qualities of a great machine. By the time we recognize these great machines, the manufacturers have moved on and made them into something else. These are the 1 or 2 year models; the ones that fit a certain niche, even if that niche takes a decade to develop.

Post them here.

I'll start with the elusive 1985 Toyota 4Runner, the only (?) year when the reliable fuel injection motor was coupled to the live axle drivetrain. Live axles are for rock crawling, and tilting your truck over precipitously. No float bowl - No problem; just like the airplanes of the 1960s. Soon after the switch to independent suspension Toyota also ditched the removable fiberglass top and went full cage. It was a sad day for children who really wanted to be spat out of a station wagon going over a bump. Good day for the nascent PreRunner market, though.

(Sorry, no way to downsize that pic.)
Hot things burn!

Batshitbox

Re: The Magic Years

PostSun May 19, 2013 4:02 am

How 'bout a 1976 Mercury Capri II, with the big 2.8 liter Cologne V-6 but before the Fox body. Please listen to the most honest midwestern dad try to sell you on one...

(I have harshed on the V6 Capri in another thread. I make no apologies.)
Hot things burn!

BlackIce_GTS

PostTue Jul 02, 2013 1:42 am

That looks just like a Toyota 4runner, but that's impossible, the thing in the picture has intact fenders.

GM is sort of notorious for this property, especially the Fiero. The best year may be the production-ready second generation concept from 1989.
The last year of the fabulously-expensive (to build) Cadillac Allante was the first year with the Northstar. Of course the reputation of that engine has gone sour, and maybe the first ones are 'better' now?
The best years of Mitsubishi 3000GT may be the first ones. It was decontented in successive iterations as a cost saving measure. Of course now they're only valuable for all their silly gadgetry (4 wheel steering, active aero, variable exhaust), because they're all really heavy and not all that powerful (by modern standards) without modification.
'89 Civic Si. '89 was the first year for Si, and in '90 they were heavier or something. These are super-magic at autocross for weird complicated autocross reasons.
The two year only 9th generation of Imperial endured long years of depreciating as an odd choice of luxury car, before reaching demolition derby price bracket, where they idled through all competition like a brick through tinfoil. Then they got banned. Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason."

skitter

PostTue Jul 02, 2013 6:37 am

"The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason."
is one of the best things I have ever read.

I have no idea what it means.
I'll be quoting you in a meeting as soon as possible.

BlackIce_GTS

PostTue Jul 02, 2013 12:19 pm

I'm trying to make it a forum trend for people to quote nonsense I said in their signatures.

jibduh

PostThu Jul 11, 2013 8:14 am

BlackIce_GTS wrote:I'm trying to make it a forum trend for people to quote nonsense I said in their signatures.

If I didn't already have a nonsense quote from you in my sig, I'd have taken that one.
BlackIce_GTS wrote:M is a number somewhere between 53 and 75, X is between 12 and 13

Batshitbox

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 3:52 pm

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I was talking about when I said
No float bowl - No problem; just like the airplanes of the 1960s.
much less wade through someone else's nonsense.
Hot things burn!

BlackIce_GTS

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 12:50 am

My interpretation was; carbed motors don't run well when subjected to the sort of nonstandard angles encountered in rock crawling. So, first year for EFI + last year for live axle = ideal for rocking out.
I know several things about airplanes, none of them are when fuel injection became common.

zsm

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 7:36 am

Did it work? Yippie!
Well, you know what they say, "The candle that burns exponentially more durably, burns several decades after it was lit and for a completely different reason." - BlackIce_GTS

BlackIce_GTS

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 12:05 am

Horray for metaphoric psudocoherence!

Scanning through my fantasy garage, I found some more things that sort of meet the criteria. I was just looking for first year/last year stuff.
Chrysler 'not a LeBaron' TC by Maserati for Chrysler: The first year cars had Chrysler 2.2 Turbos. At the time, buyers probably would have been envious of [strike]people who bought other cars[/strike] the Mitsubishi V6s installed in subsequent years. Since that time the 2.2 has cultivated a respectable performance niche (who enjoy taking engine parts out of old TCs to modify their Omnis), and the Mitsubishi V6 hasn't. I think?
In 1987 and '88 one could get a B2K twin-turbo Corvette with a Doug Nash 4+3 transmission (a 4 speed with automatic overdrive in 2nd-4th). Alternately, in 1989 and '90 you could get a B2K twin-turbo Corvette without the Doug Nash 4+3. Which of these is more valuable is debatable.
In 2005, Audi introduce the A8 W12, which was great. They also introduced their new TRAPEZOID grill, which in hindsight is not nearly as bad as I thought it was. Mostly because the current iteration of that styling is much worse. For the first year, the big grill signified a W12 car, and it was only introduced on the rest of the line the following year. However, I vaguely remember hearing that W12s from the very beginning of the model year had the old style grill.
'92 Ford Tempo: Last year for AWD, first year for the Vulcan V6
'8-only Ford (Australia) Territory F6X: It's a turbo I6 Falcon with AWD and a wagon body that looks very much like a Freestyle. It will find a niche in 2023, when I can import one.
1971 is the only year you could get a Volvo 1800ES with fuel injection and without emissions controls in the United States.

pj134

PostThu Jul 25, 2013 6:23 am

1994 300ZX... all the mechanical advances up until that point and it still had a TITANIUM KEY.

OBDII in 96 just doesn't matter compared to a titanium key.

Maymar

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 6:52 pm

As AMG is moving away from the naturally aspirated 6.2L V8 in favour of smaller biturbo V8s, I has a minor sad. I mean, I don't doubt the new engine is still wonderful, just the 6.2 (even if they called it the 63) was what made recent AMG cars special. Take one super serious, super German car, and drop in this huge, ludicrous, furious, torquey V8, and you've got something memorable, and a little silly (in the right way). I could spend all day just firing one up over and over again (admittedly because I get to do that on occasion, while I've never properly hooned one). I've heard a new AMG SL being moved around a showroom, and it didn't have the same aural fury (admittedly, it looked like it was wearing an extra set of delivery mufflers or something to that effect).

To be fair, at least Benzes in general seem to have recovered from their late 90's/early 2000s slump, but I have an odd attachment to the W204, in any variety.

Return to The Driveway