It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:47 pm

GeoGuessr

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

BlackIce_GTS

GeoGuessr

PostTue Jul 02, 2013 12:56 am

(Last call or forum post coinflip;)
This is a pretty fun game
http://www.geoguessr.com/
It puts you somewhere in the world in google street view, try to guess where you are. (click the map)
-Hoony skills such as car identification and where they were sold, knowledge of road signs and drive-handedness are useful. I think botany would really help, too.
-Since it automatically loads a new location after your guess, it's difficult to stop playing.
-It's fun when I guess badly, it's fun when I guess accurately.
-How well you do is a function of how hard you try. I use google maps in another tab to locate names I see on road signs. Closest guess with this method was within 17m.
-It seems to have an odd fixation on Hokkaido.
-Unless you can read Cyrillic, landing somewhere in Russia is unlucky. There will not be many clues allowing you to narrow it down further than 'somewhere in Russia'. Unfortunately; if you're somewhere, odds are not negligible it's Russia.
-Cities have more streets, but I find there's a 75% chance of ending up in the middle of nowhere. Did you know google street view covers single lane farm access roads in Scotland, random gravel tracks in the Yukon, and the base camp at Mt. Elbrus (there aren't even roads there)? It totally does!
-Almost everywhere is pretty. I should travel more.

pj134

Re: GeoGuessr

PostTue Jul 02, 2013 5:30 am

I think there should be a push to use this as the open discussion area over last call. Just my thoughts anyway.

GeoGuessr is quite addictive though.

Dean Bigglesworth

PostThu Jul 04, 2013 3:32 pm

It is addictive, and I was surprised by how accurately I could guess without looking anything up. Sometimes I was on the opposite side of the globe but more often than not I would be in the right country, at least. Though for some reason I kept confusing New Zealand with Japan and vice versa...

BlackIce_GTS

PostThu Jul 04, 2013 6:52 pm

They're not massively dissimilar; Large West Pacific islands noted for wierdo content and full of RHD Japanese cars. Usually I go until I can find some sort of signage, which would sort them out pretty clearly, but if you can do fairly well just on landscape then more power to you.

Speaking of Japanese cars, I was surprised to find a R30 Skyline sedan in... I forget, somewhere east of Novosibirsk. I guess that's as close to Japan as it is to anywhere that makes cars. Which is not very.

Dean Bigglesworth

PostThu Jul 04, 2013 8:38 pm

I find it more interesting to just look around wherever it puts me and try to guess based on that. Anyway it's fun, for example Canada seems to look a lot like Scandinavia in many parts. The scenery in many parts of it looks like scandinavia but the speed limit signs look like US signs and the cars are different, so must be Canuckistan. Based on how flat it is it's not too hard to place it somewhere around the right place. About two in five seem to be in the completely wrong part of the world, though.

Return to The Driveway