It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:25 pm

What car do you want today?

Miscellaneous (car related) stuff and BSing. Craigslist/eBay finds, stuff from Hooniverse or elsewhere in the automoblogosphere, youtube or whatever.

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Tanshanomi

What car do you want today?

PostTue Jun 17, 2014 9:45 am

Over on ADVrider.com, there's a hugely popular thread called What bike do you want today?, which currently has over 7100 replies. The OP started the ball rolling by saying, "If you guys are like me then there is always a bike that you want, and it changes on a nearly daily basis! I often stumble across something while browsing the internet, or see something riding down the road that sparks a 24 hour love affair! Today.....One rode past me in the opposite direction when I was driving back from the shops yesterday sparking a flurry of internet research and daydreaming!"

I've found it very entertaining to see the vast array of covet-able bikes people post, but I do the same thing with cars, too...so I thought a four-wheel version might be a fun way to rejuvenate the Hooniverse forum.

To start with, I saw a '76 Grand Prix SJ last night. After ignoring them for decades, I suddenly thought — I want one of those! Funny how that happens.

2011 Kizashi GTS Sport — 2002 Ford F150 Supercrew — 2007 Chrysler 300 Touring
2013 Cam-Am Spyder RS-S — 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT — 1974 Honda CL125 — "Bultakenstein", a pile of worn out motorcycle parts I'm calling a project bike

therood

Re: What car do you want today?

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 9:06 am

Today, why not a Merkur Scorpio?

JayP

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 5:30 pm

This is about as good place to put this.
Today, I wanted a Challenger R/T.

The thought of $6/gal gas poked me in the eye so then I started digging on the Ecoboost Mustang in that green that's suspiciously close to DHG:
Image'

Then in traffic, I see a Panther. I figure that'd be no car payments and I can repair that bad boy myself.

A few miles down the road...
Back where I started.

Tanshanomi

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 7:48 am

Yes, that's exactly what this thread is supposed to be about.
2013 Cam-Am Spyder RS-S — 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT — 1974 Honda CL125 — "Bultakenstein", a pile of worn out motorcycle parts I'm calling a project bike

JayP

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Bored at work again today.
I didn't realize the CTS V6 coupe could be equipped with AWD.

Got me thinking- the Caddy runs about the same price as a used Audi A5.
So would I go with the unknown post-warranty terror or saddle up with the know horror quantity?

Then I virtually cruise to the Autotrader and find an CPO Challenger RT with Envy wheels in white.
Oh, man.

Tanshanomi

PostFri Jun 27, 2014 12:00 pm

JayP wrote:Then I virtually cruise to the Autotrader and find an CPO Challenger RT with Envy wheels in white.

Lots of car guys give the Challenger a bad rap for being too big and too soft. As long as you accept the Challenger as a big, fast, comfortable Interstate cruiser, not a race car or back road canyon carver, I can see how it might be a better choice of regular driver than something with sportier handling, like a Mustang or a BRZ/FRS.

Okay, except for the gas mileage.

JayP

PostFri Jun 27, 2014 7:56 pm

You are an enabler.

I discovered the Fusion could be equipped with the 1.6 ecoboost and the manual transmission. Essentially the Fiesta ST engine in the 4 door. Runs about $21k new. 4 doors, looks responsible.

Again in a fit of boredom, I find a Challenger. Used with a few miles. But in Furious Fuchsia and white leather seats.
PRON.

Tanshanomi

PostTue Jul 01, 2014 4:31 am

Today I'm thinking more realistically. Volvo C30. This 2012 is listed on the CarMax site at $22K, with 9K miles. I could seriously do that.
http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?id=10130102

smokyburnout

PostTue Jul 01, 2014 9:54 pm

I actually saw a C30 and a 1800ES in the same parking lot over the weekend! (Image slightly enhanced, but you can still barely see it and the color's off)
Also saw as many Can-Am Spyders as I did Suzuki Equators (2 each)!

As for actually answering the question, the return of Project Miatabusa over on MotoIQ reminded me how I'd love to build one of those, or maybe something like a Caterham 160? Only a few problems, like how I don't have the money or space or all of the skills and technically I don't even like convertibles

JayP

PostTue Jul 15, 2014 4:43 pm

Tanshanomi wrote:Today I'm thinking more realistically. Volvo C30. This 2012 is listed on the CarMax site at $22K, with 9K miles. I could seriously do that.
http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?id=10130102

That's mid-level Focus money there. Didn't that have the turbo 5?

So yea. We just finished a 2000 mile road trip. The Mustang is getting small and rattley. Next summer's trip- kid, his scooter and 2 dogs. I need a freeway flier.

The kid and I shopped Carmax and found some interesting cars. The Caddy DTS V8 doesn't suck. Then the STS as I discovered is RWD. The V is 469hp. 25k mile examples are about $24k. Yes. Nuts. Not Jag S-Type R nuts, but close.

A few W body Grand Prix, Impalas, whatever came up. Found a Pontiac with Northstar. Interesting. The later models had that 5.3 that ended up in everything except the Aveo.

I found a D body Buick Lucerne Super with the Northstar on autotrader. 20k miles, $16k. Same era DTS would be $25k.

So now for the roadtrip commando... STS V, STS V8 Performance, Buick Lucerne Super in brown, Challenger RT manual.

Tanshanomi

PostFri Jul 18, 2014 1:57 pm

I still like the Town Car, so if I was going to change it would only be for something very, very different.
I'm back to wanting an MR2 Spyder. It's not the first time.

Maymar

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 8:25 pm

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHZpunij2o8[/youtube]
VW's been getting pretty aggressive on their financing rates up here (84mos@0% on a lot of stuff), so I've had my eye on Golf wagons (Jetta SportWagens south of the border), just like a whole bunch, for a while now. It's one of the very few new cars available I could both forsee dropping new car money on now (albeit stretched over several years), and fitting my needs long enough I might not feel like I'm making the stupidest call ever.

Also, thanks to all the bolt-on Golf bits and assorted VAG-love, there's reasonable support on these if I felt like playing around with it a bit post-warranty. I mean, my pants are a little tighter after listening to that I5.
Next

Return to The Driveway