It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:16 pm

2005 Corvette

Cars or car related items for sale by you.
No eBay/CL finds, no "off topic" stuff (computers, guns, rare birds, brides)

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

Dan

2005 Corvette

PostTue Jul 16, 2013 4:33 am

Ladies and Gentlemen,

For your consideration I have a 2005 Corvette for sale. It's done a little under 90,000 miles, manual transmission (of course), 6.0 L LS2 providing forward momentum, targa top, white with tan interior. It's completely stock other than a Flowmaster cat-back exhaust and it has the brakes from the Z51 package (whatever that means). It has all sorts of little factory options like a Bose sound system, DVD player, navigation, OnStar, heads-up display, and a bunch of other stuff that I probably don't know about (I'm not a big fan of electronic doo-dads).

Before I go any further, I should explain why I bought this vehicle. I was dating this wonderful woman for a little while, and she eventually became my fiance. At the time I had an '86 BMW 325i project that I had sunk a substantial amount of money into (really hot top-end, etc.); money I had earned from a deployment to Afghanistan. I sold the BMW project at a loss to help save up for an engagement/wedding ring. Eventually this young lady developed the idea in her head that I had cheated on her (which I hadn't) because of a not-so-friendly bacterial infection that she had given me, and was so convinced of it that she left me, brokenhearted, with no old BMW project but a decent savings account and a strong desire to get over her (as well as an uncomfortable burning sensation when I urinated, which, thanks to the conveniences of modern medicine I was able to take care of). This produced a reckless side of me that hungered for something I had had previously in my life as a more single man: A V8 powered sports car (well, my previous ones had all been muscle and pony cars, but I digress). So I went searching the local Craigslist and car lots, looking for 2003-2004 Cobras, 2005-2006 GTOs, LS1 Camaros, etc. Then, much to my surprise, this white Corvette popped up at an extremely decent price. I purchased it on a whim, utilizing the engagement ring money for things like down payment, registration, etc., and as it turned out, there were reasons why it was such a decent price.

Initially I thought it was so cheap just because the man selling it was moving off to college and still owed money on it, but as it turned out, many things on the car didn't work: The water pump was going out, the thermostat stuck, the heads-up display didn't work, the blower motor for the HVAC system was broken, the rear view mirror drooped, interior trim pieces had become brittle and cracked, the power steering didn't work. In my emotionally unstable state, I bought the car anyways. This car turned into my new relationship: I started to invest a lot of time, effort, and money into it, but seeing little return. Alas, now I have fixed almost all of these problems and have a car that is now fun to drive, gets lots of looks, and will smoke the pants off of a good majority of vehicles on the road.

Despite my work to it, there are still some things that need to be addressed. For instance: The chrome on the wheels is chipping. The rear tires don't match the front because the previous owner ran over a nail file (bad luck there) with one, had it replaced, and then I ran over a nail with the other (which was irritatingly still new), and when I went to replace them with ones that matched the fronts, I found out the front tires were no longer produced, so I had them replaced with some Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars (very sticky tires). The shift knob is starting to fall apart, the steering wheel has some scuffs on it, there's a small crack in the targa top (doesn't leak), also the throw-out bearing has always made a strange noise between 1000-1200 RPM when the clutch is being released (sounds similar to a syncro rattling). It only happens after the vehicle has warmed up and it's been driven around for a little while.

Despite the flaws, Kelly Blue Book says it's worth around $22,500. However, I'd be willing to sell it to a Hooniverse reader at a discounted price of $19,000 or a reasonable (to me) offer. While it's listed, I'll continue trying to fix some of these small issues, however that will also mean the price will solidify. I'm located in Onslow County, North Carolina. For anyone interested, please send me a message on here and I can send you my phone number or e-mail.

Thanks,

Dan

skitter

Re: 2005 Corvette

PostTue Jul 16, 2013 5:31 am

Wow.

All I did was flip my bike while being chased by a dog, bending both wheels and cracking my third helmet before getting the text about 'You know how we said we should definitely go on another date tomorrow? How about never instead.'

You win. I had a good day yesterday.

Dan

Re: 2005 Corvette

PostTue Jul 16, 2013 9:54 am

That sounds like a pretty rough day. Mine transpired over some time. A few months after breaking up with me she sent me a text saying "I'd really like to be friends with you, but I should let you know I'm dating someone right now." I'd still get back together with her if I could though... :cry:

Return to For Sale