It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:21 am

Pontiac CONCEPT CAR 1978 Grand Am CA - '78 GTO Prototype?

Cars or car related items for sale by you.
No eBay/CL finds, no "off topic" stuff (computers, guns, rare birds, brides)

Moderators: Greg, Hatchtopia, needthatcar, julkinen, Graverobber

• Author

GACA2GO

Pontiac CONCEPT CAR 1978 Grand Am CA - '78 GTO Prototype?

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 11:58 am

Ever want to own a genuine factory concept car?

1978 Pontiac Grand Am CA, as featured twice in Hot Rod Magazine. (see below)

Virtually every factory option was installed in this car by Pontiac Engineering, along with some unique appearance items, before it was turned over to Hot Rod Magazine editor Gray Baskerville on August 23, 1978 for further modifications.

This is Grand Am CA "# 2," which is all black in color. ((Grand Am CA #1 was silver and appeared in various other magazines back in 1978 before it was modified with T-Tops for show car duty. Its whereabouts today is unknown, but it is believed to have been destroyed by GM after it was shown at the major car shows in North America.))

My car is in "fair to good" running condition but really needs a full restoration. Yes, the body is very straight and rust-free. It is powered by its original Pontiac 301 V8 with Quadrajet and automatic transmission. PS, PDB, PW, PAntenna, AM/FM/factory CB Radio/Automatic Temperature AC, tilt, PSunroof, tinted glass, buckets, cruise, etc etc. Special items include Trans Am appearance goodies including Formula wheel, exhaust splitters, front and rear spoilers, 15" WS-6 Snowflake wheels and special "CA" identification (most likely "Can Am" derived namesake).

Hot Rod installed nitrous, headers, and different tires and wheels before the car was track tested. See the Nov 1978 and Feb 1979 issues for the actual story and buildup. (I have PDF copies of these stories, along with several current photographs plus copies of the factory documentation that can be emailed to an interested buyer.)

I am selling it together with a stock 1978 Grand Am parts car which is also very straight and rust-free. $8,900 for the package which also includes additional hard-to-find spare parts needed for the restoration. OR, $7,900 if sold without parts car, etc.

The new owner needs to be someone with a "vision" as to how the car should be restored or modified for its next life. It would make a great "Foose-style" pro-street custom??? and would look awesome with those new 17" cast aluminum Snowflakes from Year One. ...Well, you get the idea.

Fly in to Tucson, drive home a classic.

IMPORTANT: If you would like to learn more information about this car, please do NOT email me now. If you are serious, I request that you phone me with your questions FIRST so we can talk.

You can find photos and a recent story about the car online at this address (you may need to copy-and-paste this into your browser): http://blogs.hotrod.com/buy-this-former-hot-rod-project-pontiac-71271.html

http://blogs.hotrod.com/buy-this-former-hot-rod-project-pontiac-71271.html

Thank you!
Thom Sherwood at (520) 798-3200 Tucson, AZ (private party)

Return to For Sale